Ski & Snowboard AST 1 – $239
Are you wanting to start touring in the backcountry or slackcountry? The AST 1 course will give you the basic knowledge and skills required for safe backcountry travel. You will be able to build experience from a solid base of knowledge and skills learned on this course.
Our AST 1 courses are offered in Golden, Kelowna, Canmore/Kananaskis and Rogers Pass.
Topics and skills we will learn in the AST 1 course include:
- Types of avalanches and persistent weak layers.
- Identifying avalanche terrain and common trigger points.
- Knowing the steps required to plan and carry out a trip.
- Use of the Avaluator, ATES, Danger Ratings and Avalanche Bulletins.
- Learn about the Mountain Information Network (M.I.N.).
- Appropriate travel techniques in avalanche terrain.
- Companion Rescue. Gear, techniques and practice.
- Understand the limits of training.
Day 1 – AST 1 Class Session Itinerary
The AST 1 class session instruction includes:
- Types of weak layers and avalanches.
- Terrain features. What to watch for.
- Route finding, travelling through or avoiding avalanche terrain.
- How to use the Avaluator, M.I.N, ATES and other tools.
- Trip planning. What websites should you read every time!
- Safe riding habits. A few simple tips that will greatly reduce the risk.
- A chat about gear and rescue techniques
- We will have open discussion to answer questions at any time. The more questions, the better!
Class duration is 6-7 hours
Day 2 – AST 1 Field Day Itinerary
The field day instruction includes:
- Pre Trip Planning. Check bulletin, weather, gear, plan and more.
- Transceiver practice. Single and Multiple burials.
- Probing and shovelling hands on training.
- Group rescue scenario discussion and timed practice.
- Test profile. Dig, get to know the snowpack and tests for weak layers.
- Terrain features. Common trigger points. Let’s point out as many as we can find!
- Route finding. Discussion about travelling in avalanche terrain with the avaluator.
- Course debrief and certificates.
The field day is a full day (8 hours) spent in the mountains.
|Ski / Board||AST 1||Jan 5 to 6, 2019||09:30||Kelowna/Big White, BC||$239||BOOK NOW|
|Ski / Board||AST 1||Jan 26 to 27, 2019||09:30||Kelowna/Big White, BC||$239||BOOK NOW|
|No courses found matching your criteria!|
Showing 2 of 38 Results