AST 1 | Full Course – $350 | Online Class or Field Only – $175 ea
Online Class Session + Field Day = AST 1. Avalanche Skills Training level 1.
The entry level standard for anyone sledding in the backcountry. Many people will not ride with someone unless they have taken this course, and maybe that’s a good thing. Regardless of your reason, we’re happy that you’ve decided to get some avalanche training so you can be an asset instead of a liability in the mountains. This course is for those who have no prior avalanche training, or want a refresher.
The snowmobile AST 1 course is broken down into 2 parts. An online, learn at your own pace, class session and a hands on field day in the mountains of Golden or Revelstoke, BC.
Private courses with custom dates are available in Golden or Revelstoke. Contact us
If you have taken an AST 1 class session with any AST provider, you can complete the AST 1 course by signing up for our AST 1 Field Day
SCROLL DOWN FOR DATES AND LOCATIONS
Snowmobile AST 1 Objectives
Topics and skills we will learn in the AST 1 course include:
- Types of avalanches and persistent weak layers.
- Identifying avalanche terrain and common trigger points.
- Knowing the steps required to plan and carry out a trip.
- Use of the Avaluator, ATES, Danger Ratings and Avalanche Bulletins.
- Learn about the Mountain Information Network (M.I.N.).
- Appropriate travel techniques in avalanche terrain.
- Companion Rescue. Gear, techniques and practice.
- Understand the limits of training.
- Have a good time!
AST 1 Online Class Session Itinerary
The AST 1 class session instruction includes:
- Types of weak layers and avalanches.
- Terrain features. What to watch for.
- Route finding, travelling through or avoiding avalanche terrain.
- ATES (Avalanche Terrain Exposure Scale).
- The Avaluator – Trip Planner and Slope Evaluator.
- Trip planning. What websites should you read every time!
- Safe riding habits. A few simple tips that will greatly reduce the risk.
- A chat about gear and rescue techniques
You can email us with questions at any time. The class should take between 6 – 7 hours.
Take your time, don’t do it all at once. Spread it out over a few days. Revisit any chapters you want.
You must complete the AST 1 class before your field day.
REMEMBER! To complete the AST 1 course you must attend a field day as well.
AST 1 Field Day Itinerary
*The evening before your field day there will be a ZOOM meeting at 8:00 pm*
Meet in parking lot ready to ride for 8 am. Make sure everyone has proper riding and avalanche gear.
- Greetings, course materials and waivers.
- Trailhead procedures. Check bulletin, weather, gear, plan and more.
- Transceiver practice. Single and Multiple burials.
- Probing and shovelling hands on training.
- Group rescue scenario discussion and timed practice.
- Test profile. Dig, get to know the snowpack and tests for weak layers.
- Terrain features. Common trigger points. Let’s point out as many as we can find!
- Route finding. Discussion about travelling in avalanche terrain with the avaluator.
- Course debrief and certificates.
The field day is a full day (8 hours) spent in the mountains. We’ll have a lunch break, ride around to sample the snow, and learn as much as we can.
You must attend an AST 1 class session before you can take the field day.
|Sled||AST 1 - Field Only||Dec 19, 2020 to Jan 17, 2021||08:00||REVELSTOKE, BC - AST 1 Field Days||$175||REVELSTOKE AST 1 Field Days: Dec 19, 20, Jan 16, 17. Click BOOK NOW to choose your date. Field days are held at Boulder Mountain.||BOOK NOW|
|Sled||AST 1||Dec 19, 2020 to Jan 17, 2021||08:00||REVELSTOKE, BC - Complete AST 1 Course||$350||REVELSTOKE, BC - This is the COMPLETE AST 1 COURSE for sledders.
Click BOOK NOW to choose your Snowmobile AST 1 Field Day date at Boulder Mountain. Dates are: Dec 19, 20, Jan 16, 17. Upon registration you will receive an email to access the online AST 1 Class Session.
|Sled||AST 1 - Field Only||Nov 28, 2020 to Mar 14, 2021||08:00||GOLDEN, BC - AST 1 Field Days||$175||GOLDEN, BC AST 1 Field Days - Available EVERY SATURDAY & SUNDAY from Late November to Mid March. Click BOOK NOW to choose your date. Field days are held at Quartz Creek.||BOOK NOW|
|Sled||AST 1||Nov 28, 2020 to Mar 14, 2021||08:00||GOLDEN, BC - Complete AST 1 Course||$350||GOLDEN, BC - This is the COMPLETE AST 1 COURSE for sledders.
Click BOOK NOW to choose your Snowmobile AST 1 Field Day date. Field days are every weekend at Quartz Creek riding area. Upon registration you will receive an email to access the online AST 1 Class Session.
|Sled||AST 1 - Class Only||Oct 15, 2020 to Mar 31, 2023||12:00||AST 1 - Online Class Session - Snowmobile||$175||Click BOOK NOW to sign up for the Online Snowmobile AST 1 Class Session. Complete it at your own pace, before your AST 1 Field Day.||BOOK NOW|
|No courses found matching your criteria!|
Showing 5 of 8 Results