AST 1 – Full Course – $349
AST 1. The entry level standard for anyone sledding in the backcountry. Many people will not ride with someone unless they have taken this course, and maybe that’s a good thing. Regardless of your reason, we’re happy that you’ve decided to get some avalanche training so you can be an asset instead of a liability in the mountains. This course is for those who have no prior avalanche training, or want a refresher.
The snowmobile AST 1 course is broken down into two parts. A class session and a field day. You can take them together over a weekend, or split them up with the class session in the fall, and a field day in the winter. It’s up to you, just make sure you take both parts of the course!
See our dates and locations below.
Snowmobile AST 1 Objectives
Topics and skills we will learn in the AST 1 course include:
- Types of avalanches and persistent weak layers.
- Identifying avalanche terrain and common trigger points.
- Knowing the steps required to plan and carry out a trip.
- Use of the Avaluator, ATES, Danger Ratings and Avalanche Bulletins.
- Learn about the Mountain Information Network (M.I.N.).
- Appropriate travel techniques in avalanche terrain.
- Companion Rescue. Gear, techniques and practice.
- Understand the limits of training.
Day 1 – AST 1 Class Session Itinerary
The AST 1 class session instruction includes:
- Types of weak layers and avalanches.
- Terrain features. What to watch for.
- Route finding, travelling through or avoiding avalanche terrain.
- How to use the Avaluator, M.I.N, ATES and other tools.
- Trip planning. What websites should you read every time!
- Safe riding habits. A few simple tips that will greatly reduce the risk.
- A chat about gear and rescue techniques
We will have open discussion to answer questions at any time. The more questions, the better!
Class duration is 6-7 hours
REMEMBER! To complete the AST 1 course you must attend a field day as well.
Day 2 – AST 1 Field Day Itinerary
The field day instruction includes:
- Trailhead procedures. Check bulletin, weather, gear, plan and more.
- Transceiver practice. Single and Multiple burials.
- Probing and shovelling hands on training.
- Group rescue scenario discussion and timed practice.
- Test profile. Dig, get to know the snowpack and tests for weak layers.
- Terrain features. Common trigger points. Let’s point out as many as we can find!
- Route finding. Discussion about travelling in avalanche terrain with the avaluator.
- Course debrief and certificates.
The field day is a full day (8 hours) spent in the mountains.
You must attend an AST 1 class session before you can take the field day.
|Sled||AST 1 - Field Only||Jan 28, 2018||08:30||Golden, BC||$175||BOOK NOW|
|Sled||AST 1||Feb 3 to 4, 2018||09:30||Golden, BC||$349||BOOK NOW|
|Sled||AST 1 - Field Only||Feb 4, 2018||08:30||Golden, BC||$175||BOOK NOW|
|Sled||AST 1||Feb 10 to 11, 2018||09:30||Golden, BC||$349||BOOK NOW|
|Sled||AST 1 - Field Only||Feb 11, 2018||08:30||Golden, BC||$175||BOOK NOW|
|Sled||AST 1||Feb 24 to 25, 2018||09:00||Revelstoke, BC||$349||BOOK NOW|
|Sled||AST 1 - Field Only||Feb 25, 2018||08:00||Revelstoke, BC||$175||BOOK NOW|
|Sled||AST 1||Mar 3 to 4, 2018||09:30||Golden, BC||$349||BOOK NOW|
|Sled||AST 1 - Field Only||Mar 4, 2018||08:30||Golden, BC||$175||BOOK NOW|
|Sled||AST 1||Mar 10 to 11, 2018||09:30||Golden, BC||$349||BOOK NOW|
|Sled||AST 1 - Field Only||Mar 11, 2018||08:30||Golden, BC||$175||BOOK NOW|
|Sled||AST 1||Apr 13 to 15, 2018||Grizzly Lodge, BC||$799 *||BOOK NOW|
|No courses found matching your criteria!|
Showing 12 of 14 Results