Snowmobile Avalanche Skills Training Level 2 (AST 2) in Golden, BC | $699
Is the AST 2 for you?
So, you’ve completed the AST 1 course and you ride a lot. You spend all your free time in the mountains. You want more information and more skills for safe backcountry travel. The snowmobile specific AST 2 is the next step.
A 4 day avalanche course that is for AST 1 graduates who are looking to increase their knowledge and build a solid foundation for safe winter travel. The course focus is on travelling and decision making in the mountains.
The classroom parts of the AST 2 course will be online. You will be able to complete the online learning before the AST 2 course, and we will have some pre/after riding meetings that are in person.
(Get in touch if you have a group and a different 4 day weekend in mind)
All AST participants need to read and understand the waiver and release of liability before making a booking. READ THE WAIVER
The AST 2 course is primarily a mountain riding course. You will plan and travel in several different backcountry zones picking your routes, assessing the snowpack and reading the terrain features. We want to gather our own observations and gain the concept of spatial variability.
We will also practice up on rescue skills, using the ATES (Avalanche Terrain Exposure Scale) and Avaluator tools as well as gather a greater understanding of the avalanche bulletin and other publicly available information.
The AST 2 course is 4 days. There is an online class to complete before the field days, and we will have some morning or after riding meetings as required.
The snowmobile AST 2 course requires you to have some riding skills and experience. It is not for riders who are new to riding powder off the trail. You will need to make sure you can say YES to these points below.
- AST 1 certificate.
- Intermediate to advanced mountain riding skills. We will be riding off the trail in powder and variable snow conditions.
- 16 years or older.
- Full backcountry kit (Transceiver, Probe, Shovel, Radio, pack.. see next tab)
- Be proficient with your transceiver, probe and shovelling skills..It’s expected that you have basic knowledge of this from your AST 1 course. Practice up before the course.
- Snowmobile and equipment for full days in the mountains.
- Nice to have items: Snow saw, GPS, Sat communication device (There will be a gear list provided).
- Trail fees are not included in the price. $25 per day.
- Transceiver (digital and modern) * No Tracker 1 or 2, No Ortovox Zoom. Needs to have a marking function. Your friends lives are worth it and at this level you need to be fast!
- Probe, Shovel, Backpack, Radio with FRS channels.
- Sledding in Avalanche Terrain (AST 1 Manual from AST 1 course.. please pre/re-read)
- AVALUATOR (booklet and card from AST 1 course)
- Snow Saw or folding bush saw (greater than 30cm)
- To be supplied – Decision Making in Avalanche Terrain (Field Book)
- 3 antenna digital transceiver with marking function (ask us if you’re not sure)
- Probe with measurement increments (3 metres min)
- Pre reading of – Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain – Book – Bruce Tremper ($25)
|Sled||AST 2||January 27-30, 2024||08:00||GOLDEN, BC||$699||Snowmobile AST 2 in Golden, BC||BOOK NOW|
|No courses found matching your criteria!|
Showing 1 of 14 Results